Product Development Manager
108 west 39th street new york, New York 10018
JOB TITLE: PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
COMPANY: Well-known Accessories Company
The Product Development Manager will interact closely with Design, Customers, and Suppliers. He/She will be responsible for managing the day to day functions in product development including sourcing, costing, product management and sample follow-up. He/She will be exposed to various aspects of customer- facing activities.
- Manage the assigned product development and drive sourcing, costing, innovation, data integrity, product quality, speed to market and social compliance. Take initiative on research and development to create growth opportunities.
- Oversee all product development, sourcing, costing and production, ensuring that customer requirements and specifications are met, on time and in order.
- Research: fabrics, product, resources, countries.
- Drive innovation: technique, fabrics, yarns, process.
- Ensure competitiveness: retail and wholesale competitors in all channels.
- Drive costing: achieve best value/cost from all supplies.
- Manage sourcing: minimums, lead times, currency, costs, and national instabilities.
- Troubleshoot quality, production, price and lead times issues.
- Manage cost engineering to achieve cost targets and negotiate with suppliers as necessary.
- Monitor invoices, debit notes, chargeback and work orders submitted to and from suppliers.
- Manage the communication of all routing instructions and documents (for direct shipments) to vendors, brokers, merchandise tracking and NJ DC.
- Maintain duty and freight tables staying aware of relevant custom changes that can affect product categories.
- Negotiate pricing, terms and deliveries with customers as well as damages and discounts as necessary.
- Ensure data integrity for assigned product categories and accounts.
- Track all showroom and salesman samples to ensure placement is timely, meeting the delivery targets.
- Manage cost/retail structure to achieve margin goals both internally and for our partners.
- Review and develop/update monthly projections with Managing Director.
- Inform customer service of changes regarding customer orders.
- Provide specific sales information as needed.
- Back up other associates when needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, Business, Fashion or related field and 2+ years of related experience preferred.
- Excellent analytical, communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent organization and time management skills; detail oriented.
- Ability to effectively prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to build strong, productive relationships as a salesperson, buyer and teammate.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Excellent understanding of product development and manufacturing process.
- Strong ability to understand brands.
- Comprehensive understanding of retail math.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Experience with a PLM system preferred.