Freelance Technical Designer (Purple Label)
650 Madison Avenue 8th Floor New York, NY 10022
Job Title: Freelance Technical Designer, Sportswear
Location: New York, NY
Start: July 23rd
Partner with Design and Product Development to develop Outerwear garments from initial prototype through to production. Ownership of specifications for fit, design integrity, construction and responsible to lead live model fittings within calendar deadlines. Utilize drawing, draping and pattern making skills to supply solutions for fit and construction, set and communicate standards and provide production ready tech packs for factories/QA to follow.
- Attend all pre-fit sessions with Design to identify silhouette and/or fit block for each model seasonally providing technical feedback
- Attend all hand off meetings with Design and give development feedback with a focus on specs and construction
- Create measurement specifications and hand off direction in PLM including detail sketches to support proto and sample developments.
- Maintain daily communication with sourcing partners/factories to help facilitate accurate developments and resolve questions or open issues.
- Manage timing by chasing for sample status, mock up and monitoring deadlines. Strategize an action plan and fit schedule to achieve all timelines for samples and production.
- Manage own fit schedule to include model bookings, managing meeting requests and issuing fit session agendas. Maintain team tracking chart for timings and status.
- Prepare for fittings by measuring and fully evaluating protos for accuracy, tracking in reference garments and partner with factories to find solutions to any highlight or discovered issues ahead of meeting.
- Lead all fit sessions identifying fit problems, offering solutions to correct by cutting, pinning, draping as necessary to clearly communicate revisions.
- Update and send tech packs after each fitting using supporting Illustrator or Photoshop files or technical drawings to callout concerns and illustrate corrections clearly.
- Correct paper patterns or draft new patterns to support all fit corrections as needed.
- Maintain fit block templates and historical library of recurring fits for teams’ reference
- Have market awareness of competitor brands, construction, fit and evolving technology appropriate to the category.
- 5+ years’ experience in Technical Design leading garment fittings on live models
- Draping, pattern making and garment construction knowledge - Outerwear experience a plus
- Proficient in PLM, Illustrator/Photoshop, Word, Excel and Outlook
- Excellent attention to detail with strong organizational, communication, and follow up skills
- Ability to multitask efficiently in a fast paced environment