Freelance Site Merchandiser
San Fracisco San Francisco, CA 94105
Title of Job: Freelance Site Merchandiser
Company Description: American Apparel
Location: San Francisco
Start Date: ASAP (Temp, 12 months)
Continually analyze, execute, and provide improvements to the customer experience as it relates to navigation and product page content.
• In partnership with Sr. Site Merchant, develop seasonal site strategy based on brand direction, incoming product assortment, internal learnings, and competitive research.
• Act as an active participant in the alignment of site navigation, product photography, marketing, and copy strategies.
• Communicate site strategy to direct reports (Merchandise Coordinators) and key cross-functional partners, including global merchandising, yield management, online marketing, photo studio, and copy.
• Speak on behalf of customer needs and site functionality during marketing story development and execution.
• Keep cross-functional partners informed on category and navigation performance, using site analytics and customer feedback to advise development of the website and its content.
• Ensure that site experience is connected to marketing, promotional & buying actions in-season.
• Lead divisional site review meetings with cross-functional teams, providing preview of upcoming launches, communicating strategy shifts, and leading discussion around site best practices.
• Attend weekly divisional site meetings to ensure clarity on the execution of online promotions as well as site and e-mail marketing.
• Attend weekly divisional business meetings to understand financial results and identify product sort or navigation opportunities.
• Partner with online marketing and global merchandising teams to deliver inspirational and timely story-telling through site and e-mail.
• Work directly with global merchandising, web production, and copy teams to gather and communicate accurate fit and style details to customers through the product page.
• Partner with web production to understand technical site and tool functionality to drive efficiencies with existing tools;
• Mentor Merchandise Coordinators in site and sorting best practices, partnering with them on the execution of boutique launches and fostering their development and merchandising point of view.
• Partner with Sr. Site Merchant & Global Merchandising to ensure understanding of the online business.
• Collaborate with Marketing and Creative teams to ensure a compelling site and customer experience that supports overall business objectives and meets/exceeds customer expectations.
• Possess customer-centric mindset
• Adaptable to diverse audiences, environments, and situations
• Ability to effectively manage and resolve conflict
• Flexible and nimble to changing priorities
• Effectively lead and develop a results-oriented team
• Accurately assess employee strengths and developmental needs
• Proven track record in managing a business to achieve financial targets
• Ability to build and maintain productive cross-functional relationships to drive results in a collaborative way
• BA or equivalent experience required
• 2-3 years of merchandising, retail buying or equivalent experience
• 1-2 years of experience managing a team
• Experience in e-commerce required