Associate/Senior/Co-Director Designer for Women's Denim
10119 Jefferson Blvd Culver City, CA 90232
Title: Women's Designer/Design Director- Denim
Company Description: Better Contemporary/Premium Denim Brand
- Works with Creative Director to set overall direction in the conceptual development of the women’s denim product lines.
- Consistently seeks out Global Innovation.
- Researches future denim wash trends and denim fabric trends.
- Stays on top of emerging wash/fabric trends and be aware of competitors’ wash/fabric direction at all times.
- Global travel for trend research and development in various countries
- Fully responsible for ensuring that product is consistent with market trends as well as business strategy; interprets international/domestic concepts and fashion trends as it relates to market demands, company image and business strategy.
- Ensures consistency of look between the different collections (denim/ Lifestyle) to create a cohesive look right for the brand’s identity
- Provides overall recommendations and sets tone regarding style and fit of product(s) during presentation.
- Extensive knowledge of pricing and how to design into the required price points and price buckets established by Director of Merchandising and Head of Sales
- Fully responsible for managing staff in all aspects of entire product design process to include market research, mood board creation, designing, sketching, washes and fit.
- Selects, trains, motivates and evaluates staff. Provides creative direction to design staff.
- Responsible for managing and staying within budget (development/ sample budget; overhead)
- Accountable for identifying and executing opportunities for process improvement in the division, growing business and seeking opportunities to positively affect division/company.
- Extensive knowledge of denim mills and fabrics, their capabilities and limitations, fit, washes, finishes, construction details
- Oversees the development and selection of fabric and trim.
- Works closely with Product Development team in regards to detailed fabric testing including wear and care test evaluations prior to fabric adoption into the line
- Actively involved in local and global wash development; works closely with wash development and wash production teams on wash direction, comments and execution
- Partners with VP of Production on ensuring timely decision making, resolving product issues
- Guides design to remain on calendar with research, executing designs and decision making. Work closely with cross functional partners VP of Production and Director of Merchandising to make sure teams maintain key dates or alert in case of delays
- In-depth knowledge of denim design techniques and processes.
- Excellent leadership/management skills.
- Ability to set overall creative tone and lead creative design process.
- Excellent sense of style and color.
- Proven excellent presentation and negotiation skills.
- Ability to lead a team and deal with managerial issues (i.e. career development, performance management).
- Ability to work closely with key cross functional partners and cross functional teams
- National and international travel when required.