Associate Product Manager
108 W 39th St New York, NY 10018
Title: Associate Product Manager
Location: New York City
- Manage the assigned product development and drive sourcing, costing, innovation, data integrity, product quality, speed to market and social compliance. Take initiative on research and development to create growth opportunities.
- Manage time and action calendar for appropriate categories/brand, keeping the process and team constantly moving toward its goals.
- Manage and mentor direct report(s) to achieve long term success.
- Collaborate with merchandising and design on all corporate objectives.
- Manage customer relationships with Product Director/Manager to maximize sales and profitability.
- Act as key liaison on specific accounts.
- Grow sales through relationship building and account management.
- Manage vendor matrix in conjunction with Product Director/Manager, identifying and leveraging strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats:
- Leverage mills with all divisions to maximize productivity.
- Coordinate vendor visits and research new suppliers.
- Driver vendor performance through monthly report cards, rebate incentives, chargeback management etc.
- Edit peripheral sourcing to grow key partnerships for efficiencies in both cost, production and delivery speed.
- Manage salesman samples from ordering to on time delivery to the DC. Work closely with merchandising to ensure all market samples are photographed on time and delivered to all parties by the calendar deadline.
- Establish seasonal sourcing strategies with Product Director/Manager to meet all financial goals.
- Drive innovation in conjunction with Product Director/ Product Manager.
- Communicate regularly with suppliers to proactively manage issues and minimize disruptions to the business. Emails must be addressed within 1 business day with all suppliers and internal partners.
- Data Integrity – Ensure thorough and accurate product date
- Oversee all product development, sourcing, costing and production, ensuring that customer requirements and specifications are met, on time and in order.
- Research: fabrics, product, resources, countries.
- Drive innovation: technique, fabrics, yarns, process.
- Ensure competitiveness: retail and wholesale competitors in all channels.
- Drive costing: achieve best value/cost from all supplies.
- Manage sourcing: minimums, lead times, currency, costs, and national instabilities.
- Troubleshoot quality, production, price and lead times issues.
- Manage cost engineering to achieve cost targets and negotiate with suppliers as necessary.
- Develop product in collaboration with design and merchandising to ensure style details align with vendor capabilities and requirements; including minimums and lead times.
- Meet with prospective factories to review capabilities and new market innovations. Meet with existing vendors seasonally to review performance, protocol and operational issues.
- Review and resolve quality issues, minimizing defects.
- Ensure legal and ethical compliance of all product through appropriate communication, testing and auditing. Work closely with legal counsel to ensure proper compliance.
- Monitor invoices, debit notes, chargeback and work orders submitted to and from suppliers.
- Manage the communication of all routing instructions and documents (for direct shipments) to vendors, brokers, merchandise tracking and NJ DC.
- Maintain duty and freight tables staying aware of relevant custom changes that can affect product categories.
- Negotiate pricing, terms and deliveries with customers as well as damages and discounts as necessary.
- Ensure data integrity for assigned product categories and accounts.
- Track all showroom and salesman samples to ensure placement is timely, meeting the delivery targets.
- Manage cost/retail structure to achieve margin goals both internally and for our partners.
- Maximize sales through close working relationships with accounts, excellent product knowledge and accurately completing and sending in orders.
- Maintain close relationship with customer service, order processing and accounting to assist in credit. Information, order adjustments, cancellations, extensions, etc. for designated accounts.
- Actively prospect customers and seek new business opportunities.
- Work with customers on product direction, development of seasonal programs, etc.
- Handle account related paperwork and follow-up calls.
- Review and develop/update monthly projections with Managing Director.
- Inform customer service of changes regarding customer orders.
- Provide specific sales information as needed.
- Back up other associates when needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, Business, Fashion or related field and 2- 4 years of related experience preferred.
- Excellent analytical, communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent organization and time management skills; detail oriented.
- Ability to effectively prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to build strong, productive relationships as a salesperson, buyer and teammate.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Excellent understanding of product development and manufacturing process.
- Strong ability to understand brands.
- Comprehensive understanding of retail math.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Experience with a PLM system preferred.