Fabric R&D and Color Associate
New York, New York
Title of Job: Fabric R&D and Color Associate
Company Description: High end intimate apparel manufacturer
- Work with existing and also identify new suppliers for lace, embroideries, fabrics and trims at varying price points, from low – high. Constantly assessing new suppliers that may be applicable. Stay current with new technologies, processes etc. in the textile industry
- Set up appointments and review supplier collection with Design. With the direction from design assist in the identification of new fabrics, develop ideas with the suppliers. A creative eye would be an advantage.
- Order hangers, requesting fabric information sheets with composition, moldability, finishes, price and
- MCQ, MOQ. Follow up on all requests and missing information.
- Negotiate prices with suppliers to meet required costs for all trims and fabrics at development stage.
- Track fabric and development lead times, greige and mid spec yardage availability
- Understand and ensure adherence to the product development timetable for new material developments
- Maintaining up to date information, charts, file spec sheets/swatches, fabric hangers in fabric library.
- Prepare seasonal fabric chart, maintain chart with up to date information from BOM’s
- Initiate testing on fabrics and laces for molding with the factories and suppliers to ensure product integrity. Knowledge of molding temperatures and dwell times a plus.
- Prepare factories and suppliers with components and fabrics being used for the season
- Work from CADs provided by design to give the factories color breakdowns for SMS. Follow up on requests and timing
- Distribute color standards to factories and vendors as needed for each season
- Request initial labdips for main components for a season
- Attend and participate in weekly meetings to understand changes in the development of the product and how it pertains to the factories and suppliers and understand the necessary communication needed
- After market re-cap of garments going forward, update fabric chart and FIS sheets and color standards for pass-off to production and Hong Kong office
- Assist on color lab dips comments and update lab dip library when needed
- Partner with Design to work with CAD artist on prints and prepare prints to be sent out to factories and suppliers.
- Knowledge of print techniques
- Build a library of continuity fabrics that have been approved and used in previous seasons
- Create and maintain library of running fabrics, laces, and trims
- Update features & benefits of all materials by season
- Excellent Microsoft Office, Excel and general computer skills
- Must be extremely organized and have good verbal and written communication skills
- Must have color lab dip approval knowledge and experience
- Must have knowledge of intimate apparel fabrications, Textile background a must
- Must be able to work under stressful situations and on a team environment
- Bachelor's degree
Salary: based on experience